Saturday, September 18, 2021

Thanks and Well Done

After back-to-back appointments all morning, our schedule had a big hole in it. After catching up on some other projects, there was literally nothing for us to do for the next 3 hours until our last shot of the day.  I let the gang know I would be out for a bit, grabbed my phone and hat, and headed out the door to take a walk.

Being a nice day, I opted to head to the river. As we were at the top edge of midtown on the West Side, in minutes I was in Riverside Park. One of just 10 scenic landmarks in New York City, this green space stretches about 100 blocks from 59th Street north, and encompasses playgrounds and walkways, cafes and piers, ball fields and sculptures. Tucked between the Westside Highway and the water, it is perhaps the most uncrowded of the major green spaces in New York City.

As I walked along I noted that the flowers were in bloom and the trees all trimmed. Having never really visited the space, I was duly impressed with the thoughtfully designed landscaping, and the obvious care are that had been taken to keep it up. I passed 3 gardeners weeding and watering, and was well past them when I decided to share my delight.

I looped back the half block or so I had traveled and headed to them. Being city workers in official clothing (even if they were just Park Department tee shirts) I'm sure they saw me coming and expected yet another complaint about a broken bench or a request for directions to a bathroom. They looked up and nodded as I approached. "I just wanted to say how great this place looks," I began. "I don't usually walk along here, but had the chance today. And I was just saying to myself what a pleasure it is." They stopped what they were doing and started to smile. I continued: "I have to thank you for all you are doing to make it such a great space for me and anyone else walking along. It really shows. Thanks for your efforts." Then I turned and left.

To say they beamed at me as I walked away was an understatement. 

We are all quick to complain when something goes wrong, and with good reason. If you're going to spend your limited money or time or attention on something you want it to be right. It might be at a restaurant or a concert or at a store. In those circumstances there's an expectation of performance to a certain level, along with a distinct quid pro quo. It's not that you shouldn't thank the person on the opposite side, but everyone understands the transactional nature of the encounter. Merely adequate is table stakes: anything else deserves a comment. And unfortunately we usually only weigh in when it's negative. 

But it shouldn't be like that. Even a little simple acknowledgement goes a long way. No, the guy pumping gas is not performing any exceptional service. But a "please" and "thank you" along with a smile is the least you can do. And just the littlest bit more can make an impression. At a garage where I planned on parking for a few successive days I asked the name of the gentleman who took my car. The next day when I returned and greeted him by name, he broke into a big grin. It was literally nothing, but you would have thought he just got a raise. And when I returned that evening, my car wasn't buried in the back but waiting for me right in front.

I do the same for my preferred coffee cart. Again, usually a nameless interaction, purely a commercial exchange of money for java. But after doing that for several days, I decided to ask the guy's name. He seemed startled that I would care, and that on subsequent days I would actually remember and use it. Now as I walk up the street, if he glances out I see him turn this back and get busy. And by the time I get to his window there is a cup waiting for me. 

It's not like I really did anything. And what I did do was exceedingly small. But I did do something. And sometimes that's all it takes to make a difference. 

-END-

Marc Wollin of Bedford needs to engage more. His column appears regularly in The Record-Review, The Scarsdale Inquirer and online at http://www.glancingaskance.blogspot.com/, as well as via Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.


No comments: