Saturday, October 05, 2024

Walk This Way

My wife and I are dedicated walkers. During the week we each go out solo in our neighborhood as schedules permit, listening to podcasts or music or catching up on phone calls. On weekends we generally head out together and venture a bit further afield. The routes we take meander around nearby neighborhoods, and vary in tone and type. We might circle a lake, golf course or town, or follow a dirt road out and back. A couple of miles and an hour or two in length, these aren't hard hikes but rather intentional strolls. The goal isn't anything other than a chance to get some exercise and fresh air, and a chance to catch up on the week gone by and plan the one to come.

On my feet I sport the usual suspects, either sneakers, hiking boots and trekking shoes. The sneakers are lightweight, well suited to walking and running, but waterproof they are not. The boots are waterproof and sturdy, but I wouldn't call them lightweight. They are good in wintertime, or if our route is more dirt than pavement. The third option are the shoes, which are solid and rugged. They offer more support than sneakers, less bulk than the boots, and are better for fall or early spring. 

That said, none of them looks like anything other than what they are. Not that anyone cares, but none of them could pass for evening wear. No problem when at home, where I can change after our stroll if we have plans for the night. But when we travel we try and take as little as possible, limiting ourselves to one carry-on suitcase and hand luggage. And assuming our destination doesn't require something special, such as flip-flops or dancing shoes, all we take is the footwear on our feet.

All of which brings me to my quest for a new pair of walking shoes. Whenever you buy something new you have a wish list of requirements. Some are non-negotiables, things that define why you are buying it in the first place. Others are "nice to haves," bonus features that tip the scale between one item and another, but whose absence isn't a deal breaker. And still others don't even rate a listing, things that, as long as they are a feature and not a bug, might be of interest. It's the same whether you are buying a car or a vacuum, a suitcase or a hair dryer, an exercise bike or a coffee maker. And travel shoes are no different.

My wish list for my sole (no pun intended) pair goes like this. First, comfortable, of course, and well fitting. Also high on the list is sturdy and supportive, for when we tour we walk miles in cities and towns. It would be nice if they were fairly waterproof, as we go out in all kinds of weather. And while not a deal breaker, it would be a bonus if they looked a little bit nicer, as much at home at the symphony as at a coffee shop. 

Considering that we can staff an orbiting space station, put a computer in my pocket, and create 1.7 million different coffee drinks, you wouldn't think my list is that heavy a lift. But the options I tried brought to mind a saying we use at work: you can have it good, fast or cheap, pick two. This was no different. I tried and sent back multiple styles and manufacturers, each of which each checked a few boxes but didn't complete the package. 

Then I found a brand called Vessi. They had a model that was a little less sneakery in appearance, and were also waterproof and lightweight. I ordered a pair and took them for a test stroll: a litle snug owing to their design, but with thinner socks they seemed pretty comfy. They were a little warm in the summer, but since my main goal was travel, I was willing to roll with that. And in a happy discovery, they stayed tied, no double knot necessary. A small thing, but surprisingly desirable. I'm not shilling for them nor hoping for an endorsement deal, but like the pizza box says, I've tried the rest, and at least for now, these are the best.

I will keep my eyes open for something even better, because you never know what progress will produce. But until that unicorn comes along, as Paolo Nutini sang: "Hey, I put some new shoes on/And suddenly everything is right/Hey, I put some new shoes on/And everybody's smiling, it's so inviting/Short on money but long on time/Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine/I'm running late and I don't need an excuse/'Cause I'm wearing my brand new shoes."

-END-

Marc Wollin of Bedford doesn't track his steps: they are what they are. His column appears weekly via email and online http://www.glancingaskance.blogspot.com/ and https://marcwollin.substack.com/, as well as via Facebook, LinkedIn and X.


No comments: